The townland is a small geographical area. It is used across the island of Ireland, in both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. In October 2014 I began building a collection of photographs to celebrate the townland.
I started close to home, in the townlands near my family’s farm in Ballyoran, then spent some time exploring the Ards Peninsula and other areas of County Down.
Each post contains links to the excellent online resources of PLACENAMESNI.ORG, which will give you much more information on old place-names.
Here is an INDEX of all the townlands covered so far. Click on the name to go straight to my page about that townland. Or skip straight to this month’s new posts: Duneight
- Balloo (Killinchy Parish) Balloo (Bangor Parish) Balloo Lower Ballyaltikilligan Ballyalton Ballybarnes Ballybeen Ballycloghan Ballycopeland Ballycroghan Ballycullen Ballycultra Ballydorn Ballydrain Ballyfounder Ballyfrenis Ballygeegan Ballygrot Ballyhackamore Ballyhaft Ballyhalbert Ballyhanwood Ballyhaskin Ballyhemlin Ballyhenry(Major and Minor) Ballyholme Ballykeel(Holywood) Ballykeel(Moneyreagh) Ballykillare Ballyleidy Ballylenaghan Ballylesson Ballylisbredan Ballyloughan Ballymacarrett Ballymacarrett Intake Ballymacarron Ballymaconaghy Ballymaconnell Ballymacormick Ballymacruise Ballymagee Ballymaghan Ballymaglaff Ballymaglave (North and South) Ballymarter Ballymartin Ballymenagh Ballymisert Ballymorran Ballyministragh Ballymullan Ballynafoy Ballynahinch Ballynavally Ballynester Ballynichol (near Comber) Ballynichol (near Portaferry) Ballyoran Ballyphilip Ballyquintin Ballyrainey Ballyreagh Ballyree Ballyregan Ballyrickard Ballyrobert Ballyrogan Ballyrolly Ballyrushboy Ballyrussell Ballystockart Ballysallagh (Major and Minor) Ballyskeagh (High and Low) Ballytrustan Ballyvarnet Ballyvester Ballywalter Ballywatticock Ballywhiskin Bangor Bog Bentra Black Mountain Blaris Braniel Breda
- Carnalea Carnamuck Carnasure Carrickfergus Carrickmannan Carrowreagh Castleaverry Castlebeg Castle Espie Castlereagh Cherryvalley Church Quarter Cloghy Commons (Newtownards) Conlig Copeland Island Corporation (Killyleagh) Corporation (Bangor) Craigarusky Craigavad Craigboy Craigogantlet (Craigantlet) Creevyloughgare Cregagh Crossnacreevy Cunningburn
- Deer Park Demesne of Down Divis Donaghadee Drumaconnell Drumfad Duneight Dunlady Drumreagh Echlinville Galwally Gilnahirk Glass Moss Glastry Gortgrib Grangee Gransha Greengraves Gregstown Grey Abbey Groomsport Holywood Islandhill Inch Islandbane Islandmore Kearney Keentagh Killaghy Killarn Killeen Killinakin Killydressy Killynether Kilmood & Ballybunden Kircubbin Kirkland & Toy Knock Knockinelder Knocknagoney Lisbane Lisbarnet Lisleen Lisnabreeny Lisnasharragh Longlands
- Malone Lower Milecross Miller Hill Moneydorragh (Beg, More & More Upper) Moneyrea(gh) Mount Alexander Mount Stewart Movilla Mullagh Multyhogy Murlough (Upper and Lower) Old Town Downing Orlock Portavogie Quarterland Queen’s Island Quoile
- Raffrey Ratallagh Rathcunningham Rathgill Ringcreevy Ringdufferin Ringhaddy Ringneill Roddans Rosemount Saintfield Parks Scrabo Sheepland (Beg and More) Slatady Strandtown Sydenham Intake
- Tara Templepatrick Town Parks of Comber Tullyboard Tullycarnet Tullycore Tullygarvan Tullynagardy Tullynagee Tullynakill Tullyveery Unicarval Victoria Park Whitechurch Whitespots
OR you can use this alphabetical list of parishes.
TOWNLANDS IN THEIR PARISHES
Parish of Ardglass
Parish of Ardkeen
Parish of Ballyphilip
Ballyphilip Ballyquintin Ballymarter Keentagh Knockinelder Tara Tullyboard
Parish of Ballytrustan
Ballyfounder Ballynichol Ballytrustan Kearney Killydressy
PARISH OF BALLYWALTER
PARISH OF BANGOR
Balloo Balloo Lower Ballycroghan Ballygrot Ballyholme Ballykillare Ballyleidy Ballymacormick Ballymaconnell Ballymagee Ballymullan Ballyree Ballysallagh Major and Minor Ballyvarnet Bangor Bog Carnalea
Conlig Copeland Island Corporation (Bangor) Groomsport Orlock Rathgill
Parish of Blaris
Parish of Castleboy
PARISH OF COMBER
Ballyaltikilligan Ballyalton Ballyhanwood Ballyhenry (Major and Minor) Ballykeel(Moneyreagh) Ballyloughan Ballymaglaff Ballynichol
Ballyrainey Ballyrickard Ballyrussell Ballystockart Carnasure Castleaverry Cherryvalley Crossnacreevy Glass Moss Gransha Killynether Lisleen Longlands Moneyrea(gh) Mount Alexander Ringcreevy Tullygarvan Town Parks of Comber
PARISH OF DONAGHADEE
Ballycopeland Ballyfrenis Ballyhaskin Ballymacruise Ballyrolly
Ballyvester Ballywhiskin Craigboy Donaghadee Drumfad
Grangee Islandhill Killaghy Miller Hill Templepatrick
PARISH OF DOWN
PARISH OF DUNDONALD
Ballybeen Ballylisbredan Ballymiscaw Ballyoran Ballyregan
Carrowreagh Castlebeg Church Quarter Dunlady Killeen Unicarval
Parish of dunsfort
PARISH OF DRUMBO
PARISH OF GREYABBEY
Ballynester Grey Abbey Mount Stewart Rosemount
PARISH OF HOLYWOOD
Ballycloghan Ballycultra Ballyhackamore Ballymaghan Ballykeel Ballymenagh Ballymisert Ballyrobert Craigavad Holywood Killeen Knocknagoney Strandtown
PARISH OF INCH
Parish of Inishargy
PARISH OF KILKEEL
Moneydorragh (Beg, More and More Upper)
PARISH OF KILLINCHY
Aughnadarragh Balloo Ballydorn Ballygeegan Ballymorran Carrickmannan
Craigarusky Drumreagh Islandbane Islandmore Killinakin Quarterland
PARISH OF KILLYLEAGH
Ballymacarron Corporation Kirkland & Toy Rathcunningham
Ringdufferin Mullagh Tullyveery
PARISH OF KILMEGAN
PARISH OF KILMOOD
Ballyministragh Kilmood & Ballybunden
PARISH OF KNOCKBREDA
Ballylenaghan Ballymacarrett Ballymacarrett Intake Ballymaconaghy
Ballynafoy Ballyrushboy Braniel Breda Carnamuck Castlereagh Cregagh
Galwally Gilnahirk Gortgrib Knock Lisnabreeny Lisnasharragh
Multyhogy Queen’s Island Slatady Tullycarnet Victoria Park
Paris of Magheradrool
Ballynahinch Ballymaglave (North and South)
PARISH OF NEWTOWNARDS
Ballybarnes Ballycullen Ballyhaft Ballyreagh Ballyrogan
Ballyskeagh (High and Low) Ballywatticock Commons
Craigogantlet (Craigantlet) Cunningburn Greengraves Gregstown
Killarn Milecross Movilla Scrabo Tullynagardy Whitespots
Parish of St Andrews alias Ballyhalbert
Ballyhalbert Ballyhemlin Glastry Portavogie
Creevyloughgare Drumaconnell Saintfield Parks
Parish of Saul
PARISH OF TULLYNAKILL
Ballymartin Castle Espie Ballydrain
county antrim, parish of billy
County Antrim, Parish of Carrickfergus
County Antrim, Parish of GLENAVY
County Antrim, Parish of Shankill
Black Mountain Divis Malone Lower
Hi Carolyn. I love reading your posts 🙂 There’s a lovely walk you can do from Comber heading out the old Ballygowan Road which brings you in a circuit of 4-5 miles through the townlands of Carnesure, Ballynichol, Magherascouse, Drumhirk, Cattogs and back into Comber. Some beautiful scenery, a neolithic dolmen and a very steep hill called Slinty 🙂
That sounds excellent. I don’t think I’ve ever been on that road.
Holywood, eh?? Not to be confused with our Bollywood… 😉
Great to see your index and what a remarkable collection you have managed to amass in under a year!! Bravo!
Great to come across this site, and the first listed in your index is Ballymacarrett which is where my GGG Grandfather(Ruthven McClurg) was from
It’s great to get your comment. I hope you enjoy the photos of Ballymacarrett (and the neighbouring Ballymacarrett Intake). Did your family leave the area and emigrate?
Yes, his daughter married and then moved to Coatbridge I Scotland, and from there they emigrated to New Zealand and then to Australia
Do you mean the townland near Cookstown in County Tyrone? It’s on the list, but it’s a long way from home, so it could take me a while.
Anyway, it’s great to know that someone is interested in these townlands.
I loved seeing pictures of familiar places in Killinchy and Raffrey. Looking forward to more in the parish of Killyleagh. I don’t remember seeing a sign for Killinchy in the Woods, but there may have been one for Ballyalgan. What a great way to preserve these old place names. Thank you.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks for the lovely comments. There will certainly be more from the parish of Killyleagh. I was in Ringdufferin yesterday, and drove through Ballygoskin and Clay, but rain showers put a stop to my photography.
I know there is a Ballyalgan Road, but “Killinchy in the Woods” will be a challenge!
Dale, First I thought you meant Drumcraw in County Tyrone, but maybe not. Are you asking about Drumcaw in County Down, recorded as Drumca in the 17th century, and now in Loughinisland Parish? If so, then it’s an easier task. I will make a detour along the Drumcaw Road next time I’m in the Castlewellan/Newcastle area. I’m always happy to have an excuse to visit Murlough Bay or the Mournes.
Love your pages, a fantastic undertaking and done so well. We visited, for the second time to Comber in 4 years, to see family and look at the Townlands our ancestors came from….We walked the Comber Greenway (halfway and back) and around most of Comber, around Ballyrush and Ballycreely. I see that they are not on your list for Townlands of Comber? There is a nice couple of old forts in Ballyrush and lovely old houses in both. The derelict Sloan house, Ballyrush, can be seen from the road. We are from Canada and New Zealand. From reading comments there is another lovely walk we can do next time from the old Ballygowan Rd…..in 3yrs time or so, God willing.
Thank you for your lovely comment Jo-Anne. Sorry I haven’t got to Ballyrush and Ballycreely yet. Let’s hope I manage to do them before your next trip to Comber!
This is probably one of the best resources I have come across for the current views of townlands in County Down. I have linked this page to the County Down page on WikiTree. https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:County_Down%2C_Ireland
Thank you for the time and effort you have put in to create this resource.
LikeLiked by 1 person