The townland of Ballydrain is so much better than it sounds. For a start, the name does not come from a drain. It is an English translation of the Irish Baile Draighin meaning “townland of blackthorn”.
So forget drains and enjoy the patchwork of fields and hedges.
The Ballydrain Road begins in the town of Comber, and travels through four townlands – Carnesure, Cattogs, Cullinaw and Castle Espie – before passing the Castle Espie Wetland Centre and reaching Ballydrain townland.
The next photo shows a schoolhouse. According to the archives of the Comber Historical Society–
“The new Ballydrain Primary School was officially opened on 3rd June 1930 by Viscountess Charlemont, wife of the Minister of Education. The school was built to accommodate 120 pupils, at a total cost of £4,000, and had three classrooms.”
Things have changed since 1930. The schoolhouse has been transformed into a restaurant.
Which townlands border Ballydrain? Castle Espie, Ballyglighorn, Lisbane, Tullynakill and Ringneill
Which civil parish is Ballydrain in? Tullynakill
Which council area is Ballydrain in? Ards and North Down Borough Council
Which county is Ballydrain in? County Down